Friday 27 September 2013

A FOOL'S ERRAND.
I consider facilitating spiritual development in another to be a privilege. Sharing a journey with someone who is on a path of discovery (which never truly ends) is deeply rewarding and enriching.

I am passionate about Tarot, it has been an integral part of my life for many years now and it never ceases to amaze and delight me. Tarot may be many things but boring it aint!!
I hope to inspire and imbibe participants on my Tarot Studies courses with this same wonder and sense of magic and at the same time develop insights into their own life story. I am also keen to guide others into seeing Tarot from different perspectives so that one gains the overall impression of it's versatility and beauty.

One of the ways to achieve this is to encourage the Tarot neophyte to take part in a project which they then share with their group at the end of the 10 intermediate week course. The idea of this project is to galvanise the students relationship to their cards and to bring out their own unique style and approach to reading Tarot cards and ultimately deepen the awareness of their own life experiences.
So, we take the 22 Major Arcana cards and we weave each card into a theme. In the past we have had rock music and opera, animals, recipes, Shakespeare, yoga postures, politicians and story telling, the variables are enormous!
It always starts out the same, when I announce that the group is expected to do this project there is a lot of face pulling and groaning, lots of excuses as to why it can't be done but with a bit of cajoling it usually reaches completion.
I love that moment when someone shares their efforts with the group; not only does it make for a pleasant evening but I am always so touched by the erstwhile attempts which have resulted in fabulous creativity and thoughtfulness. On many occasions I have been blown away by a project, never more so than by that one who really didn't think that they would be good enough either at their project or as a reader. It is a beautiful moment when that person receives wonderful feedback from the others and their is this wonderful sense of achievement. Fabulous!!

Digging around in my archives I came across a poem that a student did for his project. I remember him as being an unlikely candidate for spiritual pathworking as his life did not appear to be a natural fit for such activity, however I learnt form him that you can NEVER judge a book by a cover. It was wonderful to re-discover his poem and also to remember the life lesson and to that end I share the piece that he wrote.

A FOOL'S ERRAND.  by Alan Mangan.
0. One fateful summer evening'
I attended psychic school
and began an epic journey
in the costume of a Fool.

1 I knew the time was right for me,
'twas not a tough decision
before too long, my innocence gone
I evolved into the Magician.

2. I soon moved on from casting spells,
no demons I invoke,
I stood between two pillars
as the mystic female pope.

3. From there I tempted every man,
 clad in a floral dress
with Cupid's sweet seduction,
child of Venus, the Empress.

4.  The time had come to  move along
and formulate the law,
to govern fearful subjects
as the mighty Emperor.

5. To bridge the gap 'tween God and man
my mantras I did chant
I walked the earth, life death, rebirth
the pious Hierophant.

6. My next engagement flattered me,
I'm back between the covers
with every hero's nightmare
a choice between two Lovers.

7.  To choose one's love and break one's heart
I might be dubbed Iscariot
I'm glad to swap the Lovers
for a victory in my Chariot.

8.  I wouldn't risk contempt of court
and fall foul of the law 
to mess around with Justice
leaves one sorry, sick and sore.

9.  Like every avid Trogledyte
who seeks his scholars permit.
I'll hide away for months on end 
'til I emerge the Hermit.

10. I wish trump X were 3 of cups
with music, wine and dance,
not much to say but come what may
a change of circumstance.

11. The card of strength, depicts a maid
befriend a fearsome Lion,
her courage and self-confidence
a mix of earth and Zion

12.The next transition in my tale
deludes with no disguise
a man suspended upside down
observes with different eyes.

13. The card of Death, to fearful men
shows coffin, crypt and tomb
while those less pessimistic
see a new life in the womb.

14. The card of Temperance teaches us
when excessiveness abounds
in steps our guardian angel
to show us middle ground.

15. When ravaged by the Devil
and in need of angst confession
just face your fears, amid the jeers
cut down on the obsession.

16. When life seems at it's bleakest
and you face your darkest hour
no hope in sight, be brave and fight
to break free from the Tower.

17.  With lightening bolts from trump XV1
when solace seems afar
come bathe in peaceful waters
filled with hope form God's bright star.

18.  With troubles almost over
and joy for everyone,
come feel the warmth and happiness
from rays of golden Sun.

19. The journey's nearly ended
We've come full circle, soon
Illusion and uncertainty
the hall marks of the Moon.

20. If you need to alter Karma,
your priorities re-arrange
the card of Judgement beckons you
to answer calls to change.

21.  I now conclude my sojourn,
I've travelled day and night
to dance above the globe of life,
a crowned hermaphrodite.

......The God's have truly smiled on me,
their banners' all unfurled
I started Fool,broke all the rules
and ended up the World.

C. A Mangan 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment